Sunday, July 11, 2010

What to do with Laszlo in 100 degree weather


Well, when Johanna was that age, I'd take her to the very air conditioned Tyson's Corner mall to look at the birds in the aviary so...before I went to Georgia I had the pleasure of Laszlo's company for two days, two very very hot days. I remembered a Discover-designed playground inside the renovated Tyson's mall- 36 years later and still a life saver. He went bananas, running all around, climbing up and down slides, learning to hold his own with older, wilder kids. The playground is really life in microcosm - all races and nationalities, some bigger kids pushing little ones around and the little ones have to decide - stand my ground or move aside. Laszlo is a stand my ground kind of guy. Grandpa Popi was appalled by the chaos but Laszlo held his own. One dad looked at his son who was cowering in the corner, hoping not to get run over by the big guys. It's a good place to toughen them up for the real world.
Unfortunately, I only had my cell phone with me so i have no pictures, just older ones taken in June. In any case, Laszlo zipped around that zoo at such a clip it would have been reckless of me to take my eye off him for one minute. As I posted earlier, he likes to walk around and pop into the stores, accost young
girls in strollers and so forth. I took him there again yesterday where he was once again king of all he surveyed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for shaving a coupla years off my age! I owe you one.

    ReplyDelete