Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New favorite authors

I picked up a copy of About a Boy by Nick Hornby a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed his writing so much I went to the library to get everything else they had with his name on it and devoured them. A straight writer, no long winding paragraphs with deep thoughts. He conveys his characters' messages through razor-sharp dialogue. He know his people. Funny, sad, but ultimately positive. Love him. Last weekend I stared at the fiction and nonfiction aisles trying to read myself out of a blue funk then decided Humor was the genre I was looking for. I discovered, based on the titles of her books, a great southern humorist/columnist: Celia Rivenbark. To give you an idea, her books are: Bless Your Heart, Tramp ; We're Just Like You Only Prettier; and the one I read:
Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank. Several belly laughs escaped while reading. Well worth it. She's about as real as it gets. Fast read, quick remedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment